Friday, January 29, 2010

Product Review - Jamaican Mango & Lime Lock Gro

I finally got my hands on some Jamaican Mango & Lime products.

I purchased the Lock Gro



It claims to

  • Stimulate Root Growth
  • Prevent Itchy & Dry Scalp
  • Strengthens Locks
  • Prevents Breakage
The directions say to apply a generous amount  to twists & locks daily.

Here's the verdict:

I don't like it.  It smells good and made my locks feel soft and gave them some shine but after about 3 weeks of use I had horrible build up.  I washed my hair again today and there was sticky white goop embedded in my locks.  I've never had a problem with build up before.  I actually had to wash my hair with dishwashing soap to get some of it out!  Typically I use Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap and on occasion Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo (both products can be found in Edmonton)

I think it is because it contains petroleum which is not good for black hair.  Petroleum eventually will stifle the hair and contains no actual moisturizing properties of its own. It doesn't penetrate the follicle and may actually stunt hair growth because it doesn't allow the hair or scalp to breathe. It seals in existing moisture but keeps out additional moisture while managing to attract dirt and dust.  I knew this before I bought it but I heard good things about the Jamaican Mango & Lime product line.

Why Petroleum Is Bad For Black Hair

I'll be putting this product away and will only use it rarely for a shine boost when going out.


1 comment:

  1. I bought some of their shea body lotion - it contains parabens- yuck! Not something I'll be putting on my baby's skin.

    ReplyDelete