Friday, March 5, 2010

Help for dry lips

Canadian winters wreak havoc on my lips.

On occassion I scrub my lips lightly with a mix of brown sugar and honey to exfoliate them. Sometimes I also slather on lip balm and then brush my lips lightly with my toothbrush.  Don't scrub too vigorously or you may get small irritation bumps around your lips.

I wouldn't suggest medicated lip balms.  They seem soothing at first but just seem to enhance the dryness causing you to apply more and more. 

This is not for everyone but I also use lanolin.  Lanolin is used in a lot of ointments and hair/skincare products, it is my understanding that lanolin contains sheep fat. It is very very thick and yellowish in color and has a distinct odor.  I wouldn't say that it is smelly and you cannot smell it when it is on your lips, it kind of smells like crayon wax.  If you are interested a pharmacist will sell you a large jar of it.  Mine cost 17 dollars and was purchased probably about 5 years ago.  You don't need much so after 5 years my jar is still half full.  You can also put it on very dry elbows and knees as well as feet.  After I give my feet a scrub I slather them in lanolin and then put on socks.

In terms of lip balms Burts Bees chap sticks in the tube seem to be working for me, I especially love the pomegranate kind, however I'm not to keen on the lemon-lime kind in the jar.

Lastly if you are really in a bind and you have no lip balm available rub the natural skin oil that forms on your nose on your lips.  I've done it before...when no one was watching ;-) It works.

No comments:

Post a Comment