Friday, June 4, 2010

Locs - Get the Gunk Out

Build up happens.

If you notice your locks are getting dull this could be a reason why.

The next time you wash your hair, take some time to look in the mirror and take your nails and squeeze them down the lock, if you have a lot of creamy stuff coming out it may be time for clarification.

I like Neutrogena clarifying shampoo.  I wet my hair thoroughly, squeeze some of the water out and use a heavy spraying bottle and put half water and half Neutrogena clarifying shampoo in it.  I shake it up to make it nice and sudsy and then spray my locs with it.  I do it in sections so I can really scrub my hair well, because I want the shampoo to penetrate the loc.  After I've scrubbed my hair really well I keep the suds on my hair for about 10 minutes.  Then I agitate my hair and rinse rinse rinse and then I rinse and rinse and rinse (I'm sure you get the point) Then I check by running my nails over my locs to make sure that no gunk is coming out.  If your hair has a lot of build up you may have to do this process over a few weeks to get it all out.

If my hair is really gunky I rinse it with water, take about 2 tablespoons of baking soda and water and make a runny paste in my hands.  I then rub it all over my hair.  Do not think that adding more baking soda will make your hair cleaner, it will leave turn your hair white and then you will have more rinsing out to do.  After I've lightly coated my hair with baking soda then I spray it with the clarifying shampoo and scrub.

I follow up with an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse.  I use 2 tablespoons per 1 cup of warm water and add about 2 tablespoons of honey and stir it until it dissolves. If you use cold water you will have a harder time dissolving the honey. The honey helps to make my hair shiny.  Then I throw it over my hair.  The Apple Cider Vinegar offers further clarification and adds to the shine of the locs.  I do not rinse it out.  It smells funny but the smell goes away as the hair dries.

I then follow up with a light misting of a mix of olive oil, water, jojoba oil glycerine and leave in conditioner. I like Garnier Fructese it's cheap, smells nice and makes my locs feel soft.

Then Voila! Clean, moisturized, and shiny locs.

No comments:

Post a Comment