Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Locked hair equals pothead?

There is still a lot of politics around natural hair.  Some members of the black community are against it, claiming that it's "slave hair" or for people stuck in the past, which is totally ridiculous in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with hair that naturally grows out of a scalp.  As far as I see blacks are the ones most likely to alter their hair texture or sew other hair textures on.  I'm not condemning that, because to each her own.

In the last 4 weeks I've had two occasions where someone implied I was a pot head, I can only guess they made that judgement based on two things, my race and my choice of hairstyle.

1. Situation one:  I go out with a white friend, he purchases a pipe, that could be used to smoke weed and the woman who sold it to him assumed that he was buying it for me...huh?  I only helped him pick the colour he carried it to the till and paid for it, yet it must have been a gift for the lock-haired black girl. Just because he paid for my meal doesn't mean that he's buying the pipe for me.

2. Some random idiot riding a bike.  After giving me a lecherous look he then blurted out "Do you know where I can get some weed?"  That kind of bullshit doesn't just happen to lock-haired people.  I remember being out with my family when I was little and one douche bag asked my dad if he knew where he could get some weed. 

These stereotypes are just great, the people asking for it are the ones smoking it probably with friends of their own race, yet they feel that blacks know where it's at.  In my experience no one loves weed like some white folks.  B.C has a reputation for being a "pot place" yet the black population there is tiny. Many non-blacks  smoked weed in high school, smoked it in college, still smoke it now that they are "respectable"citizens and smoke it at rock concerts.  In their experience they may have encountered more than one black weed dealer, but enough to suggest that any random black person is dealing?

Once again people with likely little knowledge of black culture other than Bob Marley, "Jamaica mon", rap videos and rap songs feel entitled to treat what they see as our common reality. The next person who asks me about weed is gonna get a piece of my mind.  I'll give them something to confirm the "angry black woman" stereotype. 

Have any of you been pre-judged for wearing your hair in its natural state?

No comments:

Post a Comment